All students have to compose a great variety of research papers. All of them are quite different. Of course, they have some things in common. In the meanwhile, they have different purposes and certain peculiarities. This may potentially mess you up. It’s important to learn and memorize all the differences. However, there are some great activities, which will help you to avoid lots of probable obstacles.
There are universal tips, which improve writing skills. If you know and master them all, it will become much easier to write all types of your research papers from scratch.
Let’s review the top activities and how to gain them:
- Learn how to choose a good topic. Many students are not able to choose an appropriate topic for their research paper. Be selective. Choose an interesting and likewise challenging theme. You are supposed to make a new discovery on how to solve this or that problem. Make sure there is enough information. Conduct the preliminary research.
- Narrow your topic. It is impossible to cover too broad themes. Go from generalization to specification. For instance, the theme of religion is too broad. Narrow it to Christianity or Catholicism. Declare a firm belief and support it. It’s necessary to craft an initial thesis statement. It can be changed during the writing process. It is supposed to fully reflect the type of your project, which may have different forms.
- Learn to gather data. One of the main objectives is to compile research materials as a working bibliography. List the initial resources and expand them afterward. The bibliographies may be general, trade, indexes and library electronic catalog. The starting point is the use of the Internet. It contains heaps of useful information about all themes you might require. Of course, you should not trust every resource heedlessly. Conduct a small research and find the dependable sources. It’s better to look for the top sites rated by the search engines. They can be freely trusted. For instance, you may use Wikipedia, National Geographic, Britannica, International Public Library and other ones.
- Develop reading skills. You should never forget about local libraries. Read books, journals, guides etc. Enlarge your knowledge. Reading is one of the most important skills that are strongly related to writing competence. While you research facts and opinions through reading, you learn how to differentiate between them, understand and explain various concepts, evaluate ideas and presentation styles.
- Take notes. Many people forget to take notes. They may be interested in the information they hear and think that they’ll use it afterward. However, it’s not possible to always remember all the facts, especially when they are too complex. Therefore, you should take instant notes. This may be done with the help of a simple pencil and paper. However, technological progress has provided us with lots of useful organizers, electronic books, and other smart devices. Use them when you find something important for your project. Undoubtedly, you ought to know what exactly you need. Therefore, define all the details concerning your topic. Afterward, craft an outline with all stages you are going to complete. Analyze the found data and compare it with your outline. Don’t forget that you’ll have to refine all the search outcomes. Leave only the most effective sources. You should never plagiarize other authors. Find out how to cite them correctly.
- Develop critical thinking. Critical thinking is valuable for any academic writing. This is a logical analysis of everything. We identify, analyze and synthesize different issues. Afterward, we construct our own concepts. The logical perception of the real facts and comparison with real experiences helps to express ideas clearly and more effectively. Thus, an author persuades the readers better and leaves positive impressions. To develop this skill put meaningful questions, review issues from all angles, be aware of mental processes, identify what events led to certain outcomes etc.
- Meet the deadlines. The matter of time is crucial. Every assignment has certain time limits. This makes students improve the speed of their performance. If you experience problems with this condition, you ought to correct it. There are various methods to sustain the speed of writing. One of such is based on the stage writing. The principle is pretty simple. Set a timer for about 20 minutes and write without stops. Set certain goals. For instance, you should write 500 words in 20 minutes. As you gain experience, increase the number of words. This method creates the feeling of a real competition. You compete with yourself. Beat the time now and you will be able to manage any deadline.
- Enhance discipline. Self-discipline means a lot. When you know what to do next after the previous stage is finished, you will definitely succeed. You should improve your own organizational skills. Make a plan for every day. Firstly, identify all goals for today. Secondly, determine the order you are going to complete them. Thirdly, predict how much time each task would take. Fourthly, act in a strict accordance with your plan. Thus, you won’t experience any difficulties with the organizing of your research paper.
Use these activities and constantly improve their quality. They will surely assist you in any research paper. Nonetheless, don’t stick only to these tips. There are many other methods, which will help to enhance your writing skills. Know all the problems you face and find the effective solutions to each.